Vision & Goals
These Vision and Goals are the underpinning of the Sub-Area Plan and are intended to guide planning, future development, and investment decisions in the Southeast Regional Center.
The Southeast Community Area will be a safe, attractive, family-friendly community to live, work, interact, and play, creating an inviting environment for residents and visitors . Through collaboration with neighbors and community partners, the community will be engaged, and social capital will be strengthened. The area will be convenient to get around, and will include a well-connected transportation network. The area will provide access to quality job opportunities, retail, entertainment, dining and grocery options, and public amenities and facilities, to ensure a healthy, vibrant, and economically dynamic community. Through placemaking efforts and community branding, the area will become a local and regional destination. Residents will have access to educational opportunities, health services, and quality housing, establishing a community that promotes aging in place, is welcoming to future residents and families, and supports a sustainable quality of life.
Goal 1: Land Use
- Implement land use policies that promote compatible adjacency, mixed-use opportunities, and commercial centers that provide a variety of uses.
Goal 2: Community Engagement
- Strengthen community relationships by creating a cohesive and welcoming atmosphere that encourages engagement and interaction.
Goal 3: Neighborhoods
- Maintain and improve the characteristics that make the neighborhoods of the Southeast Community Plan an enjoyable place to live, with special attention to walkability, open spaces, and sense of neighborhood identity.
Goal 4: Housing
- Provide a variety of high-quality, mixed-income housing options that are well-maintained, complementary to the character of existing neighborhoods, and accommodating to all stages of life.
Goal 5: Local Economic Development
- Attract new and retain existing businesses that provide a variety of shopping, healthy food and quality dining options, entertainment, and services that support all residents and expand economic and employment opportunities for the local workforce.
Goal 6: Mobility
- Improve and enhance major corridors, public rights-of-way, transit facilities, trails, and greenways using innovative strategies to accommodate all modes of mobility and provide efficient, comfortable, and properly maintained connections to jobs, neighborhoods, and citywide destinations.
Goal 7: Safety
- Expand and develop strategies and partnerships to support a safer community.
Goal 8: Parks, Creeks, and Open Space
- Protect and enhance natural systems, green spaces, parks, and recreational amenities to meet the community’s recreational and environmental needs.
Goal 9: Health and Wellness
- Facilitate the development of new local medical and fitness facilities and amenities that offer a variety of health and wellness services that are accessible to all residents.
Goal 10: Education
- Build partnerships and develop strategies to provide better access to amenities and create opportunities for educational and technical programs.
Goal 11: Sustainability, Infrastructure, and Stormwater Management
- Utilize sustainable approaches for the planning, design, and construction of new infrastructure projects.